Tuesday 31 October 2017

Namibia et el - A Summary

From my perspective and, I'm sure all of the participants, my first Southern Africa trip was a great success.
Namibia was amazing and I can safely add it to the list of places that I wish to return to.

The birding was wonderful and we also had many great views of mammals. Etosha, in particular, is an amazing park and worth much more time. 

Elago [left] & Vince
Our accommodations were all very good and for the most part I would return to all. Our safari vehicle was very good, save a few issues with air con. It was roomy and high and offered great viewing which to my mind are the most important issues.

Our Namibia driver/ guide, Elago, while not a birder was simply, excellent, a great ambassador for Namibia and his company, Karibu. He proved to be an intelligent, thoughtful and well informed guide. Better though was his patience, which was proven again and again, and his enthusiasm and energy. I welcome travelling with him again and would certainly request him.

Mike not in Africa
Credit must be given, too, to my good friend and our guide, Mike Mathieson. Mike is a great birder, naturalist and scientist and a southern African veteran and was an obvious and excellent choice for guide. We identified many bird species because of Mike's knowledge and persistence. I thank him for his efforts on tour and his constant 'encouragement' to venture down to southern Africa. I truly hope I can return!

My main criticism of the tour was concerned with food, that is, there was simply too much! Now that seems like an odd criticism however with the benefit of hindsight, and certainly in the future I would micro-manage the meals more; seeking more picnic lunches and less ‘sit-down three course ones’. On a couple of occasions the day seemed overly rushed as we had to ‘speed’ to make lunch appointments. I appreciate that sometimes this may have been avoidable however when avoidable I would have requested it. I would also have asked for the provision of folding chairs to make picnic lunches a little more comfortable.

The summary of our tour and the all-important bird of the days follow;

A Checklist of the birds seen in South Africa and Namibia will be included in another document.

No comments:

Post a Comment